Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

 Things have been more than a little busy this year at our house! I'm not a very regular blogger, though I'm working on it and so I haven't been updating this blog. After a rather uneventful pregnancy, (at least where twins are concerned!) we had two healthy baby girls, Maggie and Carrie on September 29. This gives us three kids under three, so I'm just starting to get to do other things than nurse babies! One of the first things I wanted to get back into our lives was Sarah's preschool time. So that's where we've started this week! 

Last year we tried to do a T is for Turkey unit and made Thanksgiving hand print turkeys and Sarah's favorite activity, a thankful tree, with all the leaves having the name of something or someone she was thankful for. Sarah had a blast with it, but it was really sad for me when we had to take it off of our front door and throw it away. This year, I wanted to be able to keep our tree. We cut out a trunk from brown construction paper and leaves from orange, red and yellow paper. We then used what is possibly Sarah's favorite art supply at the moment, glue, to attach them to a blue piece of paper for the background and wrote what she was thankful for. Mostly it was family and friends, but there were a few surprises:
 I asked if she was thankful for nursery, she came back with being thankful for Sacrament meeting. I am really, really surprised by this because, like most families with a two year old, we're still working on reverence and sometimes I wonder why we go at all because we spend a lot of time in the hall! 
I was a little less surprised by stores, as Sarah loves to go to the grocery store and this is frequently mentioned in her prayers, along with being thankful for Grandma's House. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, but Elsa from Disney's Frozen also featured on Sarah's gratitude list this year!
Our favorite art supply also made the list and was one of the first ones... much to my surprise! It made my day!
 I have to say that my favorite on she listed though was Jesus. She came up with it entirely on her own, and it gave me pause to reflect on my own gratitude for the Savior. Sometimes, in the middle of the mess and the chaos, I forget that I'm not just changing diapers and feeding small people endlessly, I'm raising children of God. This was a sweet reminder of that.

 This morning, I wanted to do something special for Sarah for breakfast, since Greg is home to hold babies! I still didn't want to count on cooking, as quiet time between fussy babies can be very, very short, so I came up with this turkey! When Sarah first looked at it, I asked her what it was... She said "Donuts!" 
 I asked her to look again, she looked confused!

Finally, though, on the third attempt, she understood and was thrilled!



I think it turned out pretty well myself! 

Doughnut Turkeys:



3 mini donughts (I used chocolate, but cinnamon powdered sugar would look great too!)
2 white chocolate chips 
2 mini chocolate chips 
1 small orange
1 raspberry


To make it, just cut one doughnut in half for the wings. Arrange a doughnut for the head and one for the body on your plate, about in the center, then add your wings on either side. Poke the white chocolate chips into the doughnut, point down, so that the bottom of the chip faces up. Place a mini chocolate chip on top of the white chocolate chip.
Peel your orange and place sections around the head and body to resemble a tail. This took about half the orange for me! Cut one section into thirds. This will be your beak and the feet. Place the beak in the hole of your head doughnut and the feet at the bottom of your body. Slice a raspberry in half for the waddle and place next to the beak! Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment